Articles, Videos, Clips and Quotes to Get Young People Thinking, Feeling and Discussing
This site is nothing fancy or complicated, but its potential for impacting lives is limitless.
Here’s how to use our “Coaching Tools”
- Identify a topic
- Locate an article or video
- Share it with your team before or after practice
- Have a short discussion with your team, asking questions such as:
- How did that story/article/video/movie clip make you feel?
- What would you do in that situation?
- What can we learn from the people in this story/article/video/movie clip?
- How can this idea help our team?
- How can this idea help you ten or twenty years from now?
If you have suggestions for topics or links, email Ryan@communityforcoaches.org
Arete Hoops has its 100 Top Quotes on Leadership and Purpose — great stuff
- Short article written by a female high school student whose family moved to the U.S. from Malaysia, about her attempts to fit in
- 90 second video called “Plastic Jesus” (could have been filed under “Faith”)
- 15-minute video about authentic masculinity featuring Joe Ehrmann (youtube)
- 1:43 long video about boy bullied and shot in eye with BB gun (youtube)
- 3 minute video – bullying survivor story (youtube)
- Short personal stories of bullying victims
- 2 minute video about “Chy’s Guys” (youtube)
- “Don’t play with snakes” Interview with rugby coach Larry Gelwix of “Forever Strong” (youtube)
- Blog post about the power we have to choose our attitude and outlook (among other things)
- Christian blog post about how making good choices requires looking ahead, thought, discipline and prayer.
- Article – Relief worker finds church’s flag in Katrina aftermath, works to return it to congregation
- Sermon notes from a talk on Commitment, interesting story at the very end of the piece
- 5-minute video on Team Long, brothers who compete in triathlons — amazing (youtube)
- 5 minute video about a high school tennis player who saved his family members after a horrible car wreck
- Youtube channel for “Break the Cycle”, an organization committed to ending domestic and teen dating violence
- “Be a Man” TED Talk featuring Joe Ehrmann
- “A Call to Men” TED Talk featuring Tony Porter
- Derek Redmond finishing his 400M semifinal in the 1992 Olympics
- Blog post about track legend Wilma Rudolph
- Article about Team Hoyt – incredible father/son marathon and triathlon team
- Team Hoyt website, with powerful video on front page
- Mike Krzyzewski reaches out to the family of a cancer victim
- High School wrestler pays tribute to opponent’s ailing father
- Very short blog post with a beautiful depiction of empathy
- Emmitt Smith Hall of Fame speech excerpt about his friend and teammate Daryl Johnston (youtube)
- Short blog post — “I Knew You Would Come”
Movie clips on nearly every subject imaginable
- J-Mac — autistic high school basketball manager who got to play and lit it up (youtube)
- A shorter J-Mac video (youtube)